I love to dance, I always loved it but never actively worked on it! You know no workshop, class or anything… For me to “gear up” and go to SDB so I can dance and participate st an LT workshop required a huge effort and commitment for a couple of reasons.
1. It is a dance battle/ event packed with people that are skilled enough to battle - couldn’t be further from my “style”.
2. I have a “slight” case of stage fright - don’t do well as a center of attention… Watching battles and LT workshops I knew there are people pulled up to dance front of others…
3. We are talking about LT - my one and only Lau ( yeah I know.. I am a Lau girl still) And Larry of course!!!
So, I had my issues but went along and I had a GREAT time!!!
With a bit of delay the preselections started at 11.00 am. Next item on the program was the LT workshop from 1.30 pm to 3.00 pm.
Preselections were ok, as much as could tell… Don’t want to offend anybody, after the millions of LT videos I wasnt that impressed. There were good ones but I was comparing everybody to LT in the back of my mind. And we all know they are hard competition!!! :-)
So, they came out a big late for the workshop, but I was lucky enough to run into them when I went outside to take a call… They actually arrived to the building about 15 min earlier but they were well hidden/guarded away from “us” in the “office”. Speaking about hidden and guarded… Maybe because of the amount of people present or the organizers they were rushed left and right with constant company of “staff” from the office to the stage and back … No chance for chit chat …
When I realized I will have to go through the workshop thing I wasn’t nervous anymore… People were very nice there and LT was… Everything and more than I hoped for.
I don’t know the info they received about the set up but for me they seemed a bit surprised that there will be 800 people at their workshop, all at once… But they handled it like the true pros they are. They had incredible energy, jokes and love to give!
I think they quickly worked out a strategy to devide people into manageable amounts by showing the moves at each side of the stage, Lau came down from the stage as well to handle a different group. They had several songs and choreos to show, in less of a debt than usual but I think the crowd was a good one… Seemed to pick things up quickly. I think they realized as well they don’t have to chance and time for small group to show what they learnt so they just kept going…. Once they have seen most people moved in sync…
Larry did get a bit egeteted at one point but that left time for Lau to teach as well.
Around 3.15 pm they were warned that time is up and the battles have to start… They both said they are not ready and Larry said several time he doesn’t want to finish yet. ( I hope it wasnt an act).
Than around 3.45 pm they said its time for the freestyle sessions… ( I recorded Lau, even I wasn’t supposed to… I will upload it later, I am on my phone now).
They also said, in March????? They come back for proper workshops…
Than they were escorted to the “office” where they gave interviews, after that they watched some of the group routines and were escorted back to the “office” to have pictures taken.
I stood in line for an hour an a half, than some photographer took everybody’s picture with them… I think I must have looked like a fool… Wanted to say a little something to them but it was like a line in the factory…. Anyhow, some facts …. :-)
1. They even more breathtaking in real life than on the video
2. Energy is even more than on the video
3. They Dance a lot faster than on the video
4. They are nicer than I thought they would be (as much as I could tell)
5. I am a midget …. They are giants - REALLY!!!!
6. They are amazing teachers… Even if I looked silly and weird during the dances, I felt I accomplished something of their choreos… They broke down everything to small, slow details that even a hopeless “begginer” like me could feel good about them selfs.
7. Change of cloths is an absolute must!!!!!
LOved it all… It could have been my dream day with a bit more possibility to interact, however… I gained enough confidence to sign ip for a dance class till March and be there at their next… More traditional workshop without fear!!!!! Somewhat prepared!
Oh, Larry made a weird comment at the end…. ” I don’t tweet, but if I would I would say this was great beacause even the parents, crews and all people participated in their dance/workshop” something with generations and hip hop and good and rear to see…
I was hung up on the I don’t tweet part…..
He has been more active than Lau recently…. I hope it doesn’t mean since his last “session” on tweeter he Will not tweet anymore…. Hmmmmm
That is all… Could talk hours more… I am tired of typing though…